CASTLES AND CHATEAUX
Well-preserved ruins of the castle rises above the valley of the Jizera River, dominated by the castle's highest tower which is its best conserved part. It is 15 meters high with a diameter of 9 meters and its walls are two meters thick. Frýdštejn was built during the 14th century. A number of small rooms, including a chapel, was carved directly into the rock. The owners of the castle superseded several times. The castle has lost its function after the sale in 1556, and it has been uninhabited since the late 16th century. Today the castle is owned by the municipality of Frýdštejn.
Open: May to October 10:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Chateau Hrubá Skála was built on a sandstone rock on the site of a former medieval castle rock, which was established by Hynek of Wallenstein. The castle was first mentioned as the property of Wallenstein dynasty in the charter of 1353. It was rebuilt into a Renaissance chateau in the mid-16th century and later rebuilt in Neo-gothic style during the Romantism period. Chateau currently serves as hotel and offers a variety of unique dining experiences at restaurants and other representative rooms of the castle.
Today´s Chateau Hrubý Rohozec was founded as a gothic castle around 1280. Later it was architecturally modified in the Renaissance, Baroque, and Empire style, which is now the most noticeable. Two libraries, dining room and green salon have been preserved with the original equipment to present date. The chateau exposition is arranged in cooperation with the Prague Museum of Decorative Arts. The castle is surrounded by park with a collection of stone masonry of the Romantic period.
October and April: weekends and holidays 9:00 to 4:00 p.m.
May - September: Tue – Sun 9:00 - 17:00
Humprecht, designed by Carlo Lurago, was built as a small hunting lodge by Humprecht Černín John the Earl of Chudenice in the years 1667-1672. A banquet hall, library and black kitchen can be visited in basement, the women's and men's rooms with original furnishings and ladies' dressing rooms with a small picture gallery are in upper floor.
Open: April and October, weekends, holidays: 9 to 3:30 p.m. May: Tue - Sun 9 to 4:30 p.m. June-August: Tue - Sun 9 – 5 p.m. Sept.: Tue - Sun 9 – 4 p.m.
Castle stands on a sandstone rock in the intersection of three valleys - Plakánek, Prokop´s, and Černý Pond. It was founded with its characteristic massive so-called White Tower in the late 14th century. Massive reconstruction of the castle has been done in the mid-20th century. At present, the castle belongs to the Kinsky family property. Open: April: Wed - Sun 9 – 4 p.m. May, June: Tue - Sun 9 – 5 p.m. July, August: daily 9 – 6 p.m. September: Tue - Sun 9 – 5 p.m. October: Wed - Sun 9 – 4 p.m.
Rock castle Kozlov was built on several sandstone blocks at Chlum hill (358 m above sea level) above village Podháj. Only few remnants of the castle survived until present: small rooms carved into the rock, defensive moats and castle well. Mortises for the wooden parts of the castle are well visible in the rocks. The castle used particular natural rock formations as defense walls, which were extended by wooden fortifications. There are many interesting rocky outcrops around the castle area. The lookout of Karel Vaclav Rais is near the castle.
Kumburk castle was founded around the year 1300 at the latest. The phase of the castle flourish immediately preceded the Hussite riots in 15th century. Castle´s outer fortifications were demolished in the 17th century, the castle itself was deserted and dilapidated. Kumburk stands on the former lava lake, which emerged when magma filled the crater created by an explosion caused by contact of hot magma with water-saturated sediments about 17 million years ago. Basaltic columns, which are arranged in the shape of an inverted fan below the castle remind us of that volcanic event.
Chateau is a magnificent example of Baroque residence. It was designed by architect Canevalle who started generous reconstruction of the former Renaissance chateau in 1696.The castle art gallery, Golden Cabinet, and the chapel with rich decorations were built after 1730. The castle rooms shows excellent examples of Baroque interior design.
Opening hours: April, October: Sat, Sun and holidays 8:45 to 3 p.m., May, June, September: Tue - Sun 8:45 to 4 p.m., July, August: Tue - Sun 8:45 to 5 p.m..
The remains of a gothic castle lies in the Nature reserve Klokočské rock, which was established in 1985 on an area of 228.13 hectares. The sandstones form about 2 km long rock wall with several standalone rock pinnacles above village Klokočí. Rotštejn was founded by Markvarts family in 14th century, and it was abandoned in the early 16th century. Open: from Easter to the end of May: sat 10:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., sun 10:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., June-August: Mon - Fri 10 – 4:30 p.m., Sat 10 – 5 p.m. Sun 10 – 4 p.m. Sept - Oct: Sat 10 – 5 p.m Sun 10 – 4 p.m.
The Neo-Gothic chateau served as residence of the Rohan family of French origin. The palace rooms are equipped with original furniture, paintings and other accessories, most of the rooms also have splendid carvings. The chateau interiors are open to the public, including its large park. Open:
January-March: 10 – 2 p.m., April: 9 - 3:30 p.m., May-August: 9 – 4:30 p.m., September-October: 9 – 3:30 p.m., November-December: 10 – 2 p.m.
The hill Trosky (488 m above sea) represents the remnants of volcanic scoria cone. The original volcano, which broke with the explosion through sandstone about 17,5 million years ago, was worn down by erosion over time. Only two highly resistant basaltic towers remained exposed, which are the remnants of conduit that once filled the vents inside the scoria and ash cones. The thicker one is called Baba and thinner is called Panna. The famous ruins are the remains of castle built here in 14th century.
April and October: Saturday, Sunday and holidays 8:30 to 4:00 p.m.,
May-August: Tuesday - Sunday 8:30 to 5:30 p.m.,
September: Tuesday - Sunday 8:30 to 4:00 p.m..
The oldest castle in the Bohemian Paradise was built around the 1260. Its residential function ended in late 15th century and the castle was abandoned. Ruined castle raised to a new glory with the efforts of Wallenstein family, who rebuilt it into a remarkable pilgrimage site with a unique genius loci in the 18th century. The new owners of Lex of Aehrenthal made castle available to the public and they finished the romantic adaptations of old residence into famous landmark in the 19th century.
Open: daily, April and October: Saturday, Sunday and holidays: 9 to 5:30 p.m., May-September: 9 to 5:30 p.m.
Originally wooden castle was built on the rocks by family of Valečov after 1300. It was burned down by Henry Wartenberg after Hussite wars in 1439. A stone palace was built in the first half of the 15th century, another floor was added in next century. The castle later served as administrative center and the nobility did not live here anymore, it was noticed as abandoned in 1652. Since 1994 the castle is owned by the municipality Bosen. Open: November-February: Sat, Sun 10 – 5 p.m., March, April: Sat, Sun and holidays 10 – 5 p.m., May, September: Mon-Sun 9 – 5 p.m., July, August: daily 9 – 5 p.m.
Vranov - Pantheon
Rock castle Vranov also known as Pantheon with its length of almost 400 m is considered the most complicated rock castle in Bohemia. The form of the castle was determined by the sandstone cliffs, in which it was built before 1425. It was abandoned during the 16th century. Later modifications transformed the ruins of the castle into a romantic monument available to public called the Pantheon. Reconstruction was completed in summer 1826, when a chapel was built high above the Jizera valley. Open: April, May, September, October: Sat, Sun 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., June-August: daily 9:a.m. to 6 p.m..
Zbiroh castle was founded in the early 14th century high above the village Rakousy, where the Jizera river creates a great meander. Zbiroh is noticed in the written documents of king Wenceslas IV. , when it belonged to a prominent bohemian magnate Markvart of Wartenberg. During the long years of anarchy and chaos in the country after the Hussite wars, the castle Zbiroh along with other castles in this area become the outpost for robbers and bandit troops, therefore the army demolished it in 1442 and about 1458 is mentioned already as abandoned. Only remnants of walls and vaults carved into the rock remains us of the former castle today.
© Geopark Bohemian paradise 2008-2011 english | česky